martes, 11 de mayo de 2010

Why do you want to be a language teacher?

Before starting to study to be a language teacher I worked 10 years in the tourism industry, in restaurants, hotels and in tourism marketing. During all these years I spent a lot of time writing standard procedures to make things easier at work, and was always very keen to train new hired staff. I really loved it! I used to do overtime to explain things to co-workers, or write a clearer procedure and, at a point, I was the one in my department, after my boss, to be asked how to do nearly everything.

From High School I kept learning languages (English, French, German and Japanese) along the years, for real pleasure, actually since then I have never stopped. I would take level exams everywhere (Dublin, Barcelona, Málaga, Granada) and would participate in volunteership social projects related to education. I was fascinated by other cultures and their people, above all from the East and north of Africa countries. I also realized that there is a huge demand of language teachers all around the world, as language is the most important tool for communication in any community.

I decided I could combine all these passions (teaching-learning approaches, social projects and languages) and make a living of it all; therefore, I left a good job, a nice location -as it is Marbella- and an independent life to take this English Teacher degree at University and get down to my project of new life.

Teaching people, especially youngsters and kids it´s a hard and mentally-tiring work but very exciting and rewarding, as the very first one to learn is oneself. No one day is the same. You become part of your student’s lives and they become part of yours.

I have a lot of projects once I finish the course next year: going abroad to get experience in language teaching, get a TEFL diploma, keep engaged in social projects related to languages through volunteership around the world…

...I really feel the horizon is broader and funnier for me now!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario